Crestview’s City Council
Under the city’s current charter, approved by voters in 2018, three members elected from Crestview’s three precincts and two at-large members comprise the City Council. Council members are elected for four-year terms of office and assume office on the first Monday in April in the year of their election. The mayor presides over City Council meetings, and a mayor pro tem is chosen by the council members prior to April 1 each year to serve in the mayor’s absence.
Per the city charter, members of the City Council “shall exemplify good citizenship and exhibit a cooperative spirit.” They may not hold any other elected public office or be a city employee while serving as a council member.
The council’s duties include:
• Appointing the city manager to oversee the city’s day-to-day operations, as well as the city attorney, city clerk (at the end of the current term) and department heads
• Accepting recommendations from the mayor on the requirements of municipal government
• Legislating for the city by adopting ordinances and resolutions in the best interest of all citizens of the city
• Adopting an annual budget and all other appropriations necessary for efficient city government
• Overriding the mayor’s veto of an ordinance when necessary
• Devoting such time as necessary to the performance of City Council duties
The City Council must meet at least once a month, per the charter, but often holds public workshops in addition to the council meetings. These meetings are advertised in advance on the city website, in the Crestview News Bulletin and often via city social media including Facebook.
Agendas and Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval. Earlier documentation is available upon request. Please submit request to the City Clerk.
How to sign up to receive Meeting Notifications and View live Meeting
City Council Attendance
Two or more Council/CRA Board members may be in attendance Meetings of the Shoal River Republican Club every 2nd Tuesday where items may be discussed that will be brought before the City Council in the Future.