Crestview City Clerk
City Clerk Term
The term of office clerk shall be four years, and he or she shall be elected. The candidate receiving the greatest number of votes cast shall be elected. If at any time-the clerk shall move his official residency from the city limits herein described a vacancy shall automatically occur in said office.
The officers elected shall assume the duties of such offices (within 30 days after the election) as decided by ordinance, provided, no contract shall be entered into by incumbent officials between the dates of election and assumption of office of newly elected officials binding said city beyond date of assumption of office of newly elected officials, except in case of extreme emergency.
The Clerk, who shall:
- Be fully engaged in work for the city
- Attend all meetings of the council
- Keep a correct record of the proceedings of the council
- Record, and attest all ordinances
- Draw and sign vouchers upon the depositories, which vouchers shall be countersigned by the president of the council, and keep a true and correct account of same
- Prepare and submit to the council at the first meeting in each month a statement of all finances, receipts and disbursements passing through his/her office
- Have published semiannually in some newspaper inside the corporate limits, a sworn statement showing for what purpose the money was collected and for what purpose it was expended
- Sign all licenses issued by the city, and issue receipts for all monies paid to him/her, and shall deposit said money to the proper depositories at the first regular banking day after receipt
- Be custodian of all books pertaining to the clerk’s office, and of the city records not otherwise provided for
- All fiscal books shall be maintained under modern bookkeeping methods and shall be posted up to date. Failure to keep books posted up to date shall constitute malfeasance of office
- Be clerk of the Board of Public Works. When the clerk is also tax assessor he shall perform all the duties provided for said offices
- Give such bond as the city council may fix, and shall perform all duties now or hereafter imposed upon the clerk by this Act, or by any ordinance of the council, not inconsistent herewith.
The City Clerk’s compensation shall be fixed by the council. The clerk shall have the discretion to employ and dismiss all employees of the office; provided that the council by 2/3 vote may discharge for cause any employee in the Clerk’s office. The salaries and number of employees of the office of the clerk shall be set by the council. Additional employees or raises in salaries may be added by majority vote of the council subject to the limitations of the budget hereinafter provided.
The Office of the City Clerk, headed by an elected official, provides a wide range of services to Crestview’s citizens:
- The City Clerk is designated by the Charter and State of Florida as official records custodian of public documents and is responsible for enactment of laws and resolutions while coordinating and scheduling regular and special elections.
- The City Clerk is elected by all citizens to serve a four-year term of office.
- Attendance at the City Council meetings is mandated by the city charter.
The office of the City Clerk is the custodian of Public Records for the City of Crestview, and all the respective departments. All request should be made to that office.
No person shall be eligible to be a candidate for the office of mayor, or member of the council or clerk unless they shall possess the qualifications required to hold such office and shall have paid a qualifying fee for such office, as may be required by ordinance of the municipality. The mayor, members of council or the clerk shall not hold any other elective city, county, state or Federal office. If the mayor, a member of the council or clerk ceases to possess any one or more of the qualifications specified in this section, or is convicted of a felony, while in office, then in either event a vacancy shall automatically occur.
Any vacancies occurring in any elective office shall be filled for the unexpired term by appointment by majority of the council.